I am lucky enough to not only have a mum that can make curtains, but that has also recovered a few sofas and she was willing to help me get rid of Peggy’s original bright red velvet cushions, with a slightly calmer grey.
Now this post will be short and if you are looking for a step by step instruction of how I recovered the cushions, this will not be it (sorry). I really wanted to help, I really wanted to be able to contribute to the work but my mum did all most all of it!! We did strip the old material off together - which sounded like it might be quick and easy but oh my gosh those cushions were made extremely well. We used scissors, picks, screwdrivers, knives - there were a lot of staples!! I actually got Robbie and Eddie to help as my little weak hands just couldn’t do it (hehe! I played the girl card and it worked?!).
After we removed all the old material, I then recovered each cushion with wadding (a slightly padded material) and then wadding stockinette (a stretchy tube of netting) and I used a running stitch to sew it all up. Luckily this part doesn’t need to be neat as it’s covered up. The purpose of this is to give the cushions more rounded sides and edges.
Thank you again Eddie for your help. So this is when I have a little melt down and called my mum in tears. She said that she was having an issue with them as well and that she would finish them for me! Yay! Such a huge relief as I still had so much more to do. Part of mum’s deal was that I had to do all the buttons as she hated doing them, luckily we found this bit really fun. We brought a button cover gizmo from Amazon, really easily to use. Robbie cut out the material into circles and I covered them, there were a lot but it was something we could do together and watch TV at the same time!
The I brought a GIANT needle that was long and strong enough to go through the cushions and used ribbon to secure them. We did buttons on both sides in case we ever needed to turn the cushions over. And da daaaa!
We are so pleased with how they look! Before we put them in Peggy by brother treated them with a protective spray - Scotchguard just in case anything got spilt. I kind of want him to do the whole house, I thought it might feel strange and not soft, but I couldn’t tell at all - he’s a professional car valeter (Evolve Detailing) so I trusted him.
I also made matching cushions from spare curtain material, both blue and grey.
We can’t wait to surprise our guests with Peggy. A massive thank you to my mum for all her help, I literally couldn’t have done it with out her.
I'm a happily married 30 something who has a fondness for planning and organising, an appreciation for spreadsheets, a love of all things wedding, a passion for DIY and am totally smitten with our two cats Bruce and Eddie.